2019 Power Down Savings Benefit Undergraduate Research
During the annual Power Down Challenge, Penn Sustainability and our partners join together for educational events and programs about energy consumption, reduction, and innovation. Each year, the campaign culminates in a collaborative, 24-hour, campus-wide Energy Reduction Challenge. The percentage reduction is converted into a monetary donation to the Center for Undergraduate Research & Fellowships (CURF), helping to fund undergraduate research grants in the energy and sustainability fields.
The 24-hour, campus-wide Energy Reduction Challenge occurred on Wednesday, March 20, and resulted in a reduction of 331,824 kWh from the previous day's energy usage, which had similar weather conditions and temperatures -- a savings of 4%! This savings translates into a donation of $4,000 to CURF.
In addition to the one-day challenge, a number of Power Down Happenings took place with our partners across campus during the week:
- SAS Sustainability – Tour of energy efficiency projects in Leidy Lab Building
- Building Administrators and Sustainability Coordinators – Various energy reduction measures
- PSOM, Law, and Dental – Electronic waste collection (weights collected noted below):
- PSOM: 12,311 pounds at two locations (BRB and Smilow)
- Law: 425 pounds
- Dental: 1,598 pounds
- Campus Recreation – Outdoor Zumba class in Penn Park during the Energy Reduction Challenge
- Kleinman Center for Energy Policy – Academic panel on the state of the energy storage sector and future outlooks, open to the Penn community and outside scholars
- Katz Center for Advanced Judaic Studies – Lecture on religion and climate change
- Purchasing Services – Featured energy-efficient office products in the Penn Marketplace
- Congratulations to Mohamad-Gabriel Alameh for winning the contest for guessing the amount of kilowatt-hours saved during the Energy Reduction Challenge; Mohamad guessed 332,114 kWh, which was only 290 units off! Enjoy your new home electricity usage monitor, Mohamad!
- Center for Undergraduate Research and Fellowships – Energy Reduction Challenge partner
Events hosted by Penn Sustainability:
- Green Office and Green Labs Workshop – hands-on workshop hosted at PSOM
- Pledge Event on College Green – opportunity for the Penn community to make energy conservation pledges for the Energy Reduction Challenge
- Campus Architecture and Landscape Tour – campus landscape and architecture tour given by David Hollenberg and Bob Lundgren during the Energy Reduction Challenge
Learn more about grants and fellowship opportunities at Penn related to environmental sustainability.
Learn more about Penn's Power Down Challenge.